Green, P., Berendt, J., Mandel, A., & Allen, L. (10/1/03). Comparison of the Test of Memory Malingering and the Word Memory Test for identifying response bias in a series of compensation cases. WebPsychEmpiricist. Retrieved October 1, 2003, from

Most symptom validity tests (SVT) are objectively very easy. However, two tests which are equally easy will not necessarily be equally sensitive to cognitive exaggeration. In the present study, we gave a series of compensation claimants two SVTs, one based on forced choice recognition of visual stimuli, the Test of Memory Malingering (TOMM; Tombaugh, 1996) and the other based on word recognition memory, the Word Memory Test (WMT; Green, Allen & Astner, 1996). Forty patients (28% of all cases) failed the TOMM, the WMT or both. The overall agreement rate was 82% between the TOMM and the WMT, with regard to valid or invalid effort, leaving disagreement in 18% of all cases. There was only one case (0.7%) who passed the WMT and failed the TOMM. However, there were 25 cases (17.4%) who passed the TOMM but failed the WMT. The verbal memory test scores of the latter cases were found to be significantly lower than the scores from 112 patients with moderate-severe brain injuries or neurological diseases. It was concluded that the WMT was more sensitive to suboptimal effort than the TOMM. These results replicate findings from a previous independent study.


Related papers:

McKinzey '03

Allen & Green '02

Green et al. '99

Dunn et al. '03